Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Why Aren't Guys More Interesting?

OK, this is a provocative title- and a big generalization. Actually, I have a number of male friends who are quite interesting. Yet I remember going to a friend's party once and most of the people who showed up were guys- I spent most of the evening trying to pretend to be interested. I tend to find it easier to relate to women than to men- we seem to be more on the same wavelegnth. It may be a matter of temperment. I guess this is why I've tended to hang out in mostly-female places, like library school and libraries and the non-profit sector.

There's been a downside to this: what interests me about women as friends can also cause me to be interested in them in other ways. Dealing with having such feelings for people who are already friends hasn't always been easy- there's always a part of me that says "I'm quite happy with being her friend. Why put that at risk?" But if such feelings get serious and I don't say anything it can lead to confusion and misunderstandings. Can? It has, and worse. Hell, even if it doesn't get serious there can be confusion and misunderstandings- let the wrong ideas go skipping idly through your head too many times, and it's like you might as well be having serious intentions once you've started giving out the wrong impression of what your intentions are. And then, navigating my way through friendships- through the impressions and vibes coming at me and emanating from me- seems too often to have become really complicated. Complications- who needs them? How can I ever be simple again?

But enough of such laments. It's a beautiful day outside. The long weekend is just around the corner. A time for family and friends- and for us to be good friends to ourselves by taking it easy. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home