Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

There's too much on my mind, and there's nothing I can say/
There's too much on my mind, and there's nothing I can do/ about it"
(Ray Davies, "Too Much on My Mind"- from Face to Face by The Kinks)

Or how about this one from Bob Dylan: I got a headful of ideas that are drivin' me insane

You know, I should write a skit in which the characters speak using only lines from songs. Or wait- has that already been done?

My tastes in music are maybe a bit "old fashioned" Never mind about music from the '60s, I also like music from the 1600's! It's all good. Well, not necessarily, but there are so many possible angles on the art of making pleasing sounds that add up to some coherent piece- as short as a song, or as long as an opera.

As for what's on my mind- perhaps I've done all I can do about it. Maybe I've no power to deal with it, except to surrender to it and thereby no longer struggle with it. Perhaps if I cease to struggle it will get bored and go away. (There's something irresistable about the drama of conflict.) All I can do is be as true to myself as I can be, and take the consequences- a song for the occasion running through my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home