Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hmmm...let's see, what did I do this past week?

Monday- Went to a long board meeting. Yes, I'm a director at a non-profit organization.Not as glamorous as it sounds, but we did get great vegetarian pizza and very colourful cupcakes (the icing was something to behold). There was a lot of trying to make senseof finances, a task that we were actually patting ourselves on the back for being able to follow, but we got sillier as the evening progressed. "What are in these cupcakes?", someone asked as we were giggling at nothing in particular. If there were any illicit substances, at least they helped us see the humour in budgeting- no mean feat.

Unfortunately, there's little fun and games in "Canada's New Government's exercise in budgeting today, where they make cuts in areas that they think few Canadians actually care about, like adult literacy programs. Since I work in the field of literacy this could be a problem, although at least my organization has a three year contribution agreement, so we're (probably) safe.

Tuesday- After the long board meeting on Monday, my accumulated tiredness was becoming burdensome. This was a rest evening. I got quite a lot of sleep actually.

Wednesday- Promptly squandered the sleep gains I'd made the night before. I Went to this event about the war in Lebanon, that ended up starting at 8:30 and goingpast 11. The event was rather one-sided, but then so was the war (in the other direction).Mind you, I probably would have had trouble sleeping anyway, as I'd been a bit rattled by a false alarm at work.

Thursday- What did I do on Thursday? Oh yes- had a meeting for doing a dinner theatre production this year. But there doesn't seem to be enough people who are interested, and I'm actually not going to be too sorry if it doesn't happen, as I've got other creative things in mind.

Friday- Depressing news at work about the effects of the government cutbacks on our sector. The Tories seem to think that low-literacy adults are beyond redemption, so spending money on them is wasteful. Curse Canada's New Government!

Saturday- Went out to work in an organic vineyard (said to be the only one in Quebec!). It was actually a beautiful day this time. I think it would be good to find a way to do this sort of work on a more regular basis, at least during the farming season next year. Tasted some wines and got a small bottle of wine for my labour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home