Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Hope

Today I wrote an article (People and Other Commodities 3: Left Behind? ) in reaction to Liberal leadership candidate Bob Rae's comments about the NDP and the left in general. It's part of my new essay series on economics called "People and Other Commodities". I've long been interested in economics- mainly because I'm suspicious of economists. (Don't worry, I know there are some good ones out there!)

I guess I feel more confortable with this topic than I do with the Middle East, which has dominated my political blog so far. Emotions run high for many people, especially where Israel and the Palestinians are concerned. I try to speak to what I see as the injustices going on there but I find myself burning out on it from time to time, especially since I'm aware that I'm bound to end up offending many of my friends who are on differant sides of the issue (that is of course if they read what I write- sometimes I hope they won't, although that would seem to negate the purpose of writing it) Anyway, I feel better able to present aspects of political economy with some wit and eloquence without being swayed back and forth by emotional attachments.

I guess that even my most critical political pieces have some hope in them somewhere. There's got to be- otherwise, why write anything about these things? I've no interest in writing post-mortems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home