Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The sort of evening that makes me exited about being alive

Around Concordia I ran into an old school friend who I hadn't seen in ages, who insisted that we get together some time.

Then, I went to a really inspiring talk on the healing power of theatre, by the director of the drama therapy centre at Concordia. Being a theatrical instigator myself, I guess I naturally warm to this subject, but I also know people in the program, and it was nice to see video footage of them. It was also very moving to see footage of people with developmental disabilities basking in applause after their performance; to see them glowing with new confidence about themselves and about interacting with others. It also made me think of how theatre has been healing for me and has allowed me to bring out and develop sides of myself that previously operated in hiding- I guess that's why I'm now addicted to theatre.

An inspiring evening- and then yesterday evening, lots of people came to a practice for my dinner theatre project, and for the first time this year I could feel that there was enough energy here to carry the project forward. It often takes time to reach that point, but I think we've reached it. Of course, this is only the beginning, but definately crucial....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home