Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Insomnia

Sleep. It’s one of those things that it’s so easy to take for granted- until you’re not getting it. We go through the day, we get tired, we go to sleep. Right? But then, why have I been having trouble getting to sleep of late? Every day, I get to feeling exhausted, and I’m thinking “Man, I can’t wait to get home and get some sleep.” But then I can’t. Well, I do eventually, but I end up with not enough sleep.

What do I do when I’m lying there, bored out of my mind? Do I just lie there, hoping that the restlessness in me will subside? Or do I get up and do something? Only I can’t really do much of anything because I’m exhausted. I could just end up feeding more stimulation into my being, making my restlessness worse.

I know why I’m on edge. Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing I can do about that right now. Trying to resolve things sometimes only makes them worse. Swimming, meditation and walking will hopefully make things better.

Back in May I was also suffering from insomnia. A friend of mine came over a couple of evenings, and we were hanging out, having a good time. But on the second evening, when she noticed how tired I was she became all worried, thinking that she was abusing my hospitality by keeping me up past my bedtime, etc., etc. What I should have explained, had my head been clearer, was that I was in no hurry to face the nightly battle with insomnia. If I wasn’t going to sleep, I thought, I might as well have some fun not sleeping. Mind you, I also think that this friend is a little too inclined to worry about things. If it hadn’t been that, it might have been something else. I worry too much too, though. That might help to explain why I’m not sleeping very well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home