Words and Things

A montreal paul's electronic scrapbook- thoughts gathered together may end up having their meetings reported on here.

Friday, August 18, 2006


Adventures in Wasted Time

Once upon a time, a montreal paul decided to spend some time aimlessly walking….It was a Sunday afternoon…a good time to have a good time wasting time, tasting it, savouring its sweet flavour as it flows through one’s consciousness




It was a windy day



I walked by lovers,
enjoying an enchanted Sunday afternoon together,
enjoying each other.




Soon enough, I came upon a sculpture celebrating the romantic story of Goldilocks and the Three Bares. She tried all three: One was two hot; the second was too cold- but the third was just right. And they lived happily ever after.
Goldilocks doesn't appear in the sculpture. She is whoever is seeing it.




I passed by a university disguised as a church.In modern-day Montreal, it seems the church is just a front- a front for all kinds of activities...




Montreal is a relatively safe city. Just watch out for the airborne muggers, swooping down on unsuspecting travellers from the air- a fact well known to the city's sculptors. Their works are often misinterpeted.



I wandered...and wandered...and wandered.To the east I wandered- well, to the north-east, which is east for Montreal, for Montreal is a city on an island in a river flowing north-east- but it seems like east to us.




My aimless travels took me into the evening hours, and into the neighbourhood of Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. Some intrepid explorers have ventured this far east, yet this is terra incognita for many Montrealers of the anglo variety, for whom the city ends at St. Denis or possibly at Parc Lafontaine. South of the Olympic Stadium, north of the St. Lawrence River, this exotic neighbourhood boasts at least one street with street lamps unlike any other in Montreal.




These reassuringly glowing beacons beckon the weary traveller, holding out the promise of exiting new worlds, heretofore unknown, to be found down this street.
Unfortunately, the street in fact quickly ends in an impasse. And so there was nothing left for me to do but return home. Well, that kept me occupied for a few hours anyway....




As you may have noticed, statues play an important role in telling the story of our city, and in showing a side of it that other people won't touch. Other people? You may have noticed that some of the people depicted in earlier photos are in fact statues. Indeed...and why not? If you prick them, do they not bleed? Well, OK, no, but...I tell you, their apparent lifelessness is just a ruse- they're quietly watching us, biding their time, waiting for their moment...are you laughing at me? I tell you, the day is coming when the statues will come to life and wreck terrible vengeance- them and the store mannequins. I've never trusted those store mannequins. And who'll be laughing then? Not me, I'll be too busy screaming. But at least I'll be vindicated. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home